Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Entrepreneurs all around

As I read The $100 Startup,  I have been reflecting on how many people I've had as entrepreneurial guides throughout my life. I've been very lucky, in that there have been so many people that I've grown up with as examples of entrepreneurs. My own parents have their own business since I was 3 years old. My father who had previously done purchasing for banks realize that there was I need for selling computer supplies, and as the technology industry changed his business changed with it. He was in a market of consumables, papers, inc., ribbons ect. so that he was able to adjust his products available to the needs of his customers. He also focused on service over the actual products themselves. His business was focused around solving problems for the customer, so that they didn't have to. He would get the product as soon as possible, provide same day replacement for faulty products and figure out how to fix something that wasn't working.  He would also extend his business to find and sell printers and copiers if a customer requested it.  With his focus on customer service, that he developed a number of customers that have been with him for decades.

I also have the opportunity to observe my uncle manage his own business. My uncle had been interested in architecture and the fact that his own house Santa need for products in that he discovered he could replicate and produce ancient pages, window weights, police for building that was classic such as Harvard and the State House. In replicating these he was able to start a business that tailored to a niche market and he has been very successful.

http://architecturalresourcecenter.com/


As I was growing up to I was given a number of entrepreneurial pushes. I started my own babysitting service, inspired by The Baby-sitters Club books, when I was twelve which I continued throughout college.  At fifteen,  I started "catering" my mother's women in business meetings. I would make desserts and finger foods for the meeting and that eventually led to an internship with one of the women in the group.

 I was able to intern with a woman who started her own company publishing memoirs. Working with this small publishing company allowed me to see what publishing was like.   It also to see how a company is able to target niche market. I was also able to see how a company can serve both as a for-profit business while also reaching out in to benefit the community.  I was working in the company after September 11th and the  owner of the publishing company started writing the memoirs of people who were lost during the attach on the World Trade Center.  I was able to type the memories of firefighter that passed away which was an amazing experience.  It also proved to me that there is an opportunity to have a small business that makes a profit, while still giving back to the community.


http://www.modernmemoirs.com/


That  Women in Business groups was  a great opportunity for my mother to make connections, and it also enabled me to network at an early age.  I had another opportunity to work with a women in the group who has had a number of entrepreneurial adventures, from opening a B&B to writing, and most recently working as a consultant. I was able to help her with the publishing of her book.  She was an amazing resource in that she demonstrated that entrepreneurs can follow multiple passions.  I have witnessed many people who have developed their careers for decades, which has been amazing.  At the same time, knowing that your first entrepreneurial venture doesn't have to be your only venture is reassuring


http://www.renaissancesouls.com/coaching/index.htm

This review of the entrepreneurs in my life have inspired me to become an entrepreneur in the future.  I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to observe and learn from these people in my life.  I also feel compelled to share my experience (once I have experience) with future entrepreneurs, so that they can benefit as I have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment